Saturday, October 11, 2008

Journal Entry

Years ago, a pursued a career in Nursing. I worked a variety of nursing settings from pediatrics to Critical care. I settled into Critical care. During this time, I would help instruct the staff on upcoming advancements and trainings. After 15 years in the medical field, I felt like it was time to take a break. I was going to take a break for about 6 months. I did not know what to do. I settled in on American Express, expecting it to be just a short stay. Shortly into my new job, I found out more about the corporate world and was impressed. I soon found my way into a coaching environment.

During this time, I also was involved in marriage enrichment & step family classes, at church. Up to this point, I realized that I truly enjoy helping people, but never really looked at training, as a career. I know that I wanted to help people find purpose and clarity. As I developed at American Express, I realized that I can make an impact in the lives of others, not only in developing their hands on functioning, but also in career advancement in terms of letting them see a bigger picture in the corporate environment and applying accountability principles in their everyday life, both career and personal.

Is this something that you do?
How is your interactions with your students the same and how does it differ?
If this is part of your goal, how do you bridge into their homelife?

No comments: