Saturday, October 4, 2008

Articulating thoughts and values extended from Obituary

Another version of this was with our beloved Jim's obituary.

What I love most about the world is…

  • I respect for the world, is for what people create out of it. Not so much the diversity, but the but what the diversity brings to it. Each person is created from a single use evolving template and what we do with that template is what makes the difference. We as individuals need to understand that how we relate to those around us is constantly refining and developing their and our templates. Due to this independence, we choose what to do with this input. The respect I have for the people of the world, is the positive they choose to do, out of sheer love and compassion, in the hopes of extending the philosophy of "Pay it Forward".

The world would be a better place if…

  • People understood the template & 'Pay it Forward' philosophies, and the connection the two hold.

What I would like to maintain about the world through my work as an educator is…

  • An understanding, that despite our own sided values & beliefs, that others may have the same or different beliefs, that they are just as much an individual as you are and deserve the same amount of respect as you do.

What I would like to change about the world through my work as an educator is…

  • Having my students realize that I had an impact not only in their studies, but in their lives as well. I would want them to feel that I had a positive impact on their lives, a difference that they feel they became a better person, due to our interaction.

I want my students to be…

  • I want them to feel that they have the ability to be efficient, engaged throughout life, and have the ability to be self sufficient at times and have the courage/freedom to ask for help, in others.

2 comments:

Bonnie Rivas said...

Wow, you are quite the philosopher! The idea of a "template" that we add to with our choices and decisions sounds somewhat like John Locke's idea of "Tabula Rasa." That we all come into this world as a blank slate, and what we do throughout life contributes to this originally blank slate. Am I correct that you would at least partly identify with this idea? I also see through your obituary and the answers to these prompts that you care very much about the individual. Rather than influencing a social movement, you seem to be more interested in using your teaching to influence people at the level of individual's life experiences.

jim said...

Your assumption is true, in regards to affecting the individual. IMO, We don't make a difference in peoples lives in a global market, or a national market. We make a difference in their own life market. This is where they live. This is to forgetting the larger picture. There is tremendous effort needed in the larger community, but people do and need to effect the individuals and the community in which they live.